"Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace?"
Text: Romans 6:15
FEARS CONCERNING THE TEACHING OF GRACE
The doctrine of grace was feared by some. Their objection seemed to have come from fear that people might sin wantonly if grace is emphasized too much. Paul noted this sense of fear in the following two texts.
“What shall we say then?
Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?
Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin
live any longer in it?”
“What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law
but under grace? Certainly not!”
A PROPER APPRECIATION OF THE DOCTRINE OF GRACE NEEDED
A proper understanding of the doctrine of grace would lead us away from sin, not to it!
1. Grace is a wondrous gift from God (Cf. Romans 5:15a)
2. Grace is also a special gift from the Lord Jesus Christ (Cf. Romans 5:15b)
3. We have abundant grace from God (Cf. Romans 5:17)
4. Grace will abound beyond the power of sin (Cf. Romans 5:20)
5. Grace is God’s special means of ruling believing mankind (Cf. Romans 5:21)
There may be some who will abuse the grace that God provides. But that does not rule out the fact that God has ordained that grace will reign in the New Covenant established through the death of the Lord Jesus Christ!
THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR GRACE
No matter how much we may fear that people may be drawn to sin, there is just no substitute to grace! The following ways have failed to stop man from sinning against God!