"Sin shall not have dominion over you.."
Text: Romans 6:14
THE POWER OF SIN OVER MAN
The doctrine of sin must never be taken lightly. It certainly must not be taken for granted! Let us review Paul’s teaching on this subject:-
1. Sin’s appearance may be traced to Adam (Romans 5:12)
2. Sin’s deadliest power is expressed in “death” (Romans 5:12-14, 21)
3. Sin’s judgment- condemnation (Romans 5:12)
4. Sinners are slaves to sin (Romans 6:6)
5. The body may rightly be called “the body of sin” (Romans 6:6)
6. The human nature is corrupted by sin and is called “the old man” (Romans 6:6)
BREAKING THE POWER OF SIN
Sin has devastating power. But the power of Christ is even greater! Through Christ, the believer may rejoice in the following text:
“For sin shall not have dominion over you,
for you are not under law but under grace.”
1. Sin’s dominion via “law”
Paul had a most striking observation to offer in this statement.
a) He linked sin with the law.
b) How are they linked?
i) The law represents God’s commands.
ii) However, man being sinful cannot keep God’s laws.
iii) As long as man is under law, sin will rule man via the law of God.
2. Not under the law but under grace
What a glorious ray of hope we have in this statement!