"Now the God of peace be with you all."
Text: Romans 15:33
THE GOD OF PAUL THE APOSTLE
Paul had discovered much about the God he served so well and faithfully. Here is a short list of the things that he discovered about the Lord God.
1. God our Father. He is the Giver of grace and peace – Romans 1:7
2. God as the One who imputes righteousness. Because of His justification of sinners we may have peace with God – Romans 4:6, 5:1
3. God as the Giver of eternal life – Romans 6:23
4. God as the Author of love – Romans 5:5, 8; 8:37-39
5. God as the eternally blessed One – Romans 9:5
6. God as the Lord of Sabaoth (“hosts”) – Romans 9:29
7. God as One who has not cast away His people – Romans 11:1-2
8. God as One who has unsearchable wisdom and knowledge – Romans 11:33
9. God as One who is full of mercy – Romans 9:15; 12:1
10. God as the One to whom we must give account – Romans 14:12
11. God of patience and comfort – Romans 15:5
12. God of Hope – Romans 15:13
13. God of grace – Romans 15:15
14. God… whose sovereign will must be sought and respected – Romans 1:10; 15:32
A NATURAL DESIRE TO PRONOUNCE A BENEDICTION
From time to time, Paul would append a brief word of blessing to his readers. The following text is a classic example. (Cf. Romans 11:36; Ephesians 3:20-21).
“Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.”
It was natural for Paul to invoke the name of God even as he wrote. It was natural to offer a brief benediction to his readers in Rome. It was fitting for Paul to wish his friends in Rome the very presence of the God of peace!