"Superscription: To the Chief Musician...A Psalm of David"
Day 57 – Psalm 8
“Superscription: To the Chief Musician…A Psalm of David” Psalm 8
AN INTERESTING SUPERSCRIPTION
We have an interesting superscription which reads:
“To the Chief Musician.
On the instrument of Gath.
A Psalm of David.”
A. Who were some of the “chief musicians”?
We have a number of Levites mentioned as people in charge of music.
1. Chenaniah, leader of the Levites (1 Chronicles 15:22)
a) He was a leader.
b) He was an instructor.
c) He was in charge of music.
2. Asaph (1 Chronicles 15:17, 19; 1 Chronicles 16:5, 7)
a) One of the leading singers (1 Chronicles 15:16-17)
b) He was associated with the use of cymbals too.
c) He was handed one of David’s psalms (1 Chronicles 16:7)
B. On the instrument of Gath
1. Gath was one of the major cities of the Philistines.
2. An instrument from Gath was mentioned.
3. David’s understanding was that this particular psalm/song would go well with the instrument from Gath (possibly a stringed instrument).
C. What other musical instruments were employed? (1 Chronicles 15:28)
4. Stringed instruments/ harps