"Arise, O LORD"
Day 122 – Psalm 17
“Arise, O LORD” Psalm 17:13
AN OFT-REPEATED PHRASE
The phrase “Arise, O LORD” was used a number of times in David’s psalms. Here is the list of them.
1. Arise, O LORD, in Your anger (Psalm 7:6a).
2. Arise, O LORD. Do not let man prevail (Psalm 9:19).
3. Arise, O LORD! O God, lift up Your hand! (Psalm 10:12)
4. Arise, O LORD! Confront him, cast him down (Psalm 17:13).
AN APPEAL TO TAKE ACTION
This phrase has one very basic and rather strong element. Several elements may be noted:-
1. It is a plea to take swift and urgent action.
2. It is a plea to deal with the wicked decisively.
3. It is a plea that has an imprecatory element.
4. This phrase highlights the intensity of feelings felt by the author when he sees so much injustice perpetrated before his eyes.
It is God’s prerogative to respond as He thinks best. How would God answer such strong pleas?