"To whom then will you liken Me, or to whom shall I be equal?' says the Holy One." Isaiah 40:25
Text: Exodus 6 : 3
REVELATION OF GOD
God revealed Himself in many ways. A number of titles were attached to God. Let us take a quick look at the names God was known by in the book of Genesis. (We can only list a small number of the titles).
1. God Most High, Possessor of Heaven and earth. Genesis 14:19, 22
2. Almighty God. Genesis 17:1
3. The Everlasting God. Genesis 21:33
4. The God of heaven and the God of the earth. Genesis 24:3
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE REVELATION OF THE NAMES OF GOD
A number of things may be said about how we may appreciate the revelation of the names of God. Three things may be observed:-
1. Each revelation reveals at least one prominent attribute or aspect of God.
2. Each revelation contributed to the knowledge of God.
3. Each revelation is meant to enable the individual to relate to God better.
REVELATION OF THE COVENANT-NAME OF GOD
God made a most significant statement when He spoke to Moses these words.
“I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob,
as God Almighty, but by My name LORD
I was not known to them.”
1. “God Almighty”
Indeed, God introduced Himself as “God Almighty” (El Shaddai – Genesis 17:1). Abraham discovered just how mighty God was in his life!
2. “My name LORD”
The title “LORD” was not unknown. This word LORD is used quite extensively in the book of Genesis. What could God mean when He said, “By My name LORD, I was not known to them?” Two thoughts may be suggested