Parenting by the Book
1 July 2001
A NEW SERIES OF ARTICLES
We just ran another Bible Camp for Children (18-22 June 2001). Some of the Junior Campers were responsive to spiritual things, others were not! Some children had good manners, others still need a lot of instruction.
The theme of the Camp was drawn from the text from the Gospel of Luke. We have this wonderful statement in Luke’s Gospel concerning the growth of Jesus,
And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature,
and in favour with God and men.
Each year we draw scores of children into the Junior Camp. How we long to see these children being further nurtured in their faith. Many good and godly servants of God owe the moulding of their lives to the tremendous influence their parents had on them.
REASONS FOR DOING “PARENTING BY THE BOOK”
There are many reasons why I would like to attempt to do this series of articles for parents. Let me just single out two:-
- Some parents have written to ask questions about Christian parenting, after they read But We See Jesus about the kind of parents Elizabeth and Zacharias must have been to John the Baptiser. They were also challenged to consider how Jesus was brought up by Mary and Joseph. There was a request to write on the subject of Christian Parenting.
- We have a good number of children in our church! It would be a great challenge to see them being brought up in a good and godly Christian home environment! It would be a shame if we fail to offer children the kind of family environment that could positively shape their lives. Out of love for the children that the Lord has given to us, let us do our utmost to bring them up in the fear of the Lord. The Pastoral Team stands committed to help parents in this great task of bringing children up in a godly manner.
THE MAIN REFERENCE WOULD BE THE SCRIPTURES
This series of articles would have as its main reference- the Word of God!
- We believe with all our heart that the Scriptures contain very relevant and important truths to teach parents how they should bring up their children.
- We observe with sadness that not every Christian parent refers to the Word of God in the bringing up of children.
- Many seek advice from grandparents, friends, and books etc. when they bring up their children. While we do not discount these sources, however we must state that these by themselves are not sufficient. We should include the Scriptures as well.
SENT FORTH WITH A WORD OF PRAYER
As usual, each pastoral letter is sent forth with a prayer. May the Lord bless all who take up seriously the challenge of bringing up their children to fear the Lord.