"Slaves of righteousness..."
Text: Romans 6:18
THE CONCEPT OF A SLAVE
In ancient Roman days, there was an established practice of slavery.
1. Rome made slaves of people they conquered.
2. Slaves became a social class; they were the lowest in the social strata.
3. Slaves were nothing more than chattel to their owners.
4. They had no freedom and no rights whatsoever.
5. They lived only to serve their masters.
THE CONCEPT OF BEING A SLAVE TO SIN
Paul employed this concept of being a slave to sin most effectively.
1. Sin is like the master.
2. The slave is bound to obey sin as his master.
3. Sin being a cruel master will cruelly punish the slaves he owns.
4. Sin has no remorse, even if his slaves died under his iron hand.
THE CONCEPT OF BEING A SLAVE TO RIGHTEOUSNESS
Paul extended the concept of being a slave to righteousness as well.
“And having been set free from sin,
you became slaves of righteousness.”