"No other doctrine..."
Text: 1 Timothy 1:3
THREATS IN THE FIRST CENTURY
The first century church faced many dangers. There were many threats that endangered the very existence of the Church.
1. Persecution was a very real threat.
2. Problems arising from false doctrines also threatened the church.
To this end the apostle Paul had to give a very special word to Timothy concerning the problem of false teachings.
“As I urged you when I went into Macedonia-
remain in Ephesus that you may charge some
that they teach no other doctrine.”
1 Timothy 1:3
1. Timothy’s ministry in Ephesus
a) This ministry was quite extensive.
b) 1 Timothy was written to help Timothy in his ministry.
2. A special ministry highlighted
a) To battle those who were spreading “other doctrine”.
i) The idea here is that they were teaching erroneous doctrines.
ii) They were teaching aberrant views.
iii) These doctrines had been evaluated and found wanting.
b) Timothy was to “charge” the false teachers to cease and to desist!
AUTHORITY OF TIMOTHY
Where would Timothy find the authority to combat these false teachers?
1. His authority was derived from the apostle Paul.
2. Paul possessed apostolic authority.
3. He could delegate this authority to Timothy.
4. Timothy would then have assurance that he had apostolic authority to back him up.
5. He was not alone in his battle against false teachings.
WHAT TIMOTHY COULD FALL BACK ON
These are the things that Timothy could fall back on! Two things may be highlighted:-